The Hoosier Valley Railroad Museum has a number of both steam and diesel locomotives on display. Some of the diesel switch engines are operational and are utilizied as part of our tourist operation.
Chesapeake & Ohio 2-8-4 No. 2789
Built by the American Locomotive Company (S/N 75202) at Schenectady, New York, in 1947. The C&O 2789 is a 2-8-4 type steam locomotive. Unlike most other railroads with locomotives of this wheel arrangement, the C&O named them Kanawhas, instead of Berkshires. The K4 2789 represents the zenith of steam locomotive development. The engine has roller bearings and a welded boiler. The locomotive weighs in at 230 tons, the tender carries 30 tons of coal and 22,000 gallons of water. Major Dimensions are: Cylinders 26" diameter and 34" stroke; drivers are 69" in diameter; boiler pressure is 245 psi; tractive effort is 83,350 lbs. with booster engine. The C&O used this engine until 1955 when it was retired. In 1961, it was donated to the Miami County Steam Locomotive Association for display in West Side Park at Peru, Indiana. The engine was removed from the park in 1986 and finally brought to North Judson in 1988. The engine is currently awaiting funds for restoration.
Erie Lackawanna Alco S1 No. 310
Built by American Locomotive Company (S/N 75121) in January of 1947. This locomotive is powered by a McIntosh & Seymour 539 series engine rated at 660 horsepower. No. 310 was built for the Erie and became Erie Lackawanna no. 310 in 1960. The engine was donated to the museum by Silcott Railway Equipment Company and arrived at our museum on April 25, 1997. The locomotive underwent an extensive overhaul and is currently operational.
Interlake Iron GE 95-tonner No. 11
Built by General Electric (S/N 31517) at Erie, Pennsylvania, in May of 1952. The locomotive is powered by a Cooper-Bessemer FWL-6T engine that is rated at 600 horsepower. The unit was built as the Interlake Iron Corporation (later Interlake Steel Corporation) no. 11, and then later becaming Acme Steel no. 11. The locomotive was donated to our museum by Acme Steel and arrived on January 13, 1995. This locomotive has gone through an extensive rebuild process and will be ready for service in 2011. It has been restored to its Interlake Steel Corporation lettering.
Looking very similar to the General Electric 70-tonners, no. 11 is actually a 95-ton diesel-electric locomotive - one of only 47 ever constructed. With larger wheels and a thicker deckplate than its lighter cousins, the heavy industrial switcher was a common sight in the steel mills of northwest Indiana.
Hoosier Valley Whitcomb 44-tonner No. 27
Built by the Whitcomb Locomotive Works (S/N 60105) at Rochelle, Illinois, in August of 1941. The locomotive is powered by two Caterpillar D17000 diesel engines rated at 180 horsepower each. Built as the Day & Zimmerman (ammunitions contractor) no. 4-44, the engine was then transferred to the U.S. Army as no. 7308. Later the engine was sold to McGraw Construction, then to Chicago Gravel Company in South Elgin, Illinois, as no. 509. The engine then went to the Port Of Indiana as no. 1776 and painted in a red, white and blue scheme for the nation's bicentennial. The engine then came to our museum in North Judson in 1988 and is on loan from Mike Skomac.
Calumet Steel EMC Model 40
One of only 11 EMC Model 40 locomotives ever produced, this four-wheel, rigid frame diesel locomotive (S/N 1835) is sometimes referred to as a "critter". The small, switcher-type locomotive was donated by Calumet Steel in Chicago Heights, Illinois, in the fall of 2000. The locomotive is powered by two Detroit Diesel 6-71 engines and is currently non-operational, but can be restored given enough time and money. The switcher serves as the museum's rolling billboard.
Coronet Phosphate Company 0-4-2T No. 6
Built by the H.K.Porter Company (S/N 5284) in May of 1913. This engine was built for Cia Generale Des Phosphates de la Floride no. 6, then became Coronet Phosphate Company no. 6, then Smith-Douglas Company no. 6, then the Borden Company no. 6, finally coming to the museum.