The museum is open Saturdays from 9:00 am to 4:00 pm CDT (Chicago time).
Built by the Whitcomb Locomotive Works (S/N 60105) at Rochelle, Illinois, in August of 1941. The locomotive is powered by two Caterpillar D17000 diesel engines rated at 180 horsepower each. Built as the Day & Zimmerman (ammunitions contractor) no. 4-44, the engine was then transferred to the U.S. Army as no. 7308. Later the engine was sold to McGraw Construction, then to Chicago Gravel Company in South Elgin, Illinois, as no. 509. The engine then went to the Port Of Indiana as no. 1776 and painted in a red, white and blue scheme for the nation's bicentennial. The engine then came to our museum in North Judson in 1988 and became HVRM no. 27 for a number of years. The locomotive is on permanent loan from Mike Skomac and is currently out of service.
574-896-3950 Depot Phone