The museum is open Saturdays from 9:00 am to 4:00 pm CDT (Chicago time).
Built by the American Locomotive Company (S/N 75202) at Schenectady, New York, in 1947. The C&O 2789 is a 2-8-4 type steam locomotive. Unlike most other railroads with locomotives of this wheel arrangement, the C&O named them Kanawhas instead of Berkshires. The K4 2789 represents the zenith of steam locomotive development. The engine has roller bearings and a welded boiler. The locomotive weighs in at 230 tons, the tender carries 30 tons of coal and 22,000 gallons of water. Major Dimensions are: Cylinders 26" diameter and 34" stroke; drivers are 69" in diameter; boiler pressure is 245 psi; tractive effort is 83,350 lbs. with booster engine. The C&O used this engine until 1955 when it was retired. In 1961, it was donated to the Miami County Steam Locomotive Association for display in West Side Park at Peru, Indiana. The engine was removed from the park in 1986 and finally brought to North Judson in 1988.
574-896-3950 Depot Phone