The museum is open Saturdays from 9:00 am to 4:00 pm CDT (Chicago time).
This 1,500-horsepower BL2 diesel road switcher were built in 1949 by the Electro-Motive Division of General Motors for the Bangor and Aroostook Railroad in Maine. The locomotive was intended for use on branch lines, lending to their “BL” designation. Only 59 units were built for a handful of railroads with 7 being preserved.
The locomotive has an unmistakable appearance and could be used in both freight and passenger service. They were a common sight in the Hoosier State, with the Monon Railroad operating the second-largest fleet of any original owner. The locomotive is owned by a private individual and moved to the museum in 2021 along with sister locomotive no. 56.
On September 2, 2023, BL2 locomotive no. 52 debuted on its first revenue run at the Hoosier Valley Railroad Museum after a two-year rebuild.
574-896-3950 Depot Phone