The museum will be open this Saturday from 9:00 am to 4:00 pm CDT (Chicago time)

Monon Business Car No. 2

Builder Pullman Standard
Build Date 1924
Model/Type Business Car
Status Awaiting Evaluation

Equipment History

Monon business car No. 2 was originally built by Pullman Standard and was used by the Great Northern Railway on their flagship train, The Oriental Limited. By 1949, the car was stored in the Calumet Shops storage yard. In 1953, the Monon needed another business car and purchased it from the Pullman Corporation. Warren Brown, President of the Monon Railroad, was pleased with the updated changes to the car and named it Lynne after his two-year-old granddaughter, Lynne Marie Chambers. In 1958, Lynne was removed from the car, and it became the number 2 car, used primarily by the law department. Just prior to the Monon’s merger with the Louisville & Nashville, the car was sold to businessman Leonard Brown of Michigan City, Indiana. In November 2011, the Leonard Brown family donated the car to the Monon Railroad Historical-Technical Society. The car was donated by the MRHTS to the Hoosier Valley Railroad Museum in 2023. The business car arrived at the museum on December 11, 2023, along with Monon caboose no. 81532.

Interested in preserving this piece of Indiana's railroad heritage? Make a donation to our Monon Equipment Fund.