The museum is open Saturdays from 9:00 am to 4:00 pm CDT (Chicago time).
Signal number 948-1 is referred to as a TTO, or Telephone Train Order signal. It was built by the US&S and is known as a Style S Semaphore. This particular signal came a location 948 miles west of Jersey City, New Jersey, or 2 miles east of Crown Point, Indiana as evidence by the number plate. Jersey City was the eastern terminus for the Erie. The number 1 means it governed trains on the westbound track.
Signal number 921-1 is also a US&S Style S Semaphore and also came from the Erie. It stood sentry to Erie trains approximately 4 miles west of the museum. These signals were installed along the Erie somewhere between 1915 and 1917. This was the first signal to be restored by the HVRM Signal Committee.
Signal number 908-2 came from the Bass Lake, Indiana area along the Erie main and is known as a US&S Style H searchlight signal. These types replaced the older semaphore signals during the Erie’s single tracking project in the late 1950’s. This type obtains the three signal colors by means of a moveable electromagnetic vane to which colored lenses are attached. This vane is placed in front of a bulb and the resultant color is projected out to the approaching train.
Signal 903-2 is also a Style H searchlight just like 908-2. This two-headed signal once stood at the west end of Monterey, Indiana governing eastbound traffic.
Signal 1 is our latest acquisition and used to guard the diamonds at Griffith, Indiana. It is a three headed Union Switch & Signal Style H searchlight signal.
574-896-3950 Depot Phone