The museum will be open this Saturday from 9:00 am to 4:00 pm CDT (Chicago time)

Nickel Plate Road No. X58538

Builder Standard Steel Car
Build Date 1925
Model/Type Boxcar
Status Stored

Equipment History

Nickel Plate Road kitchen car no. X58538 was originally built as Wheeling & Lake Erie box car no. 25310 in 1925 by Standard Steel Car. The W&LE was leased by the NKP in December of 1949 and the car became NKP no. 25310. It was converted to a camp car status in June 1963 and later became Norfolk & Western no. 558538. This car was donated to the museum by Norfolk Southern in August of 1989. The car currently serves as a kitchen car for the museum staff.